Covenant began as a mission of Westminster Presbyterian Church and the Presbytery of Oklahoma City. Covenant was formally organized on December 11, 1955. The first meetings were held in a dance studio in Casady Shopping Center, and later in the Casady School cafeteria, which at that time was on the northern edge of Oklahoma City.
The first part of our building was completed in 1956, the second phase in 1965, and the sanctuary in 1972. The architect was a church member and a student of the Bible, theology, and American history. He designed our beautiful stained glass windows portraying the Old Testament Covenants, the New Covenant, and the integration of the old and the new. The sanctuary is shaped to represent Noah's ark.
The height of Covenant’s membership was in the early 1980’s when Covenant had 700 members. As the city grew beyond us and the community and technology changed, Covenant dwindled in membership as the church struggled to adapt to the rapid rate of change.
In 2005, Covenant took a step of faith, remodeling much of the building and bringing it up-to-date. Covenant is now taking another step of faith. We are recruiting young leaders who want to make a difference. We are recruiting and rebuilding a younger presence so that the proclamation of God’s love and the good news of the gospel continue for years to come.
Covenant is one of over 50 Presbyterian churches in the region which extends South and West of Oklahoma City, and which we call the Indian Nations Presbytery.
Covenant is part of the four state region called the Synod of the Sun which includes: Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana.
Covenant is a member congregation of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
Much more can be found about Presbyterian history and Presbyterianism at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterianism.